Sunday, December 2, 2007

This is in response to Shaunt's post about nervous ticks:

I also noticed Grossman's habit of pushing up his glasses. It was something about the precise way he pushed them up so delicately that caught my attention. It just shows that something so simple and everyday can be a beautiful movement. I think its beauty comes from the fact that it was not intended to be performed in any way. In my modern dance class we spend one day working on a gesture exercise. We had around twelve everyday gestures (like waving at someone or eating food) and we performed them rhythmically in beat to create movement. It was interesting because everyone had their own particular way of gesturing. Once these gestures were performed in class they did not seem like everyday gestures anymore, but part of choreography instead.

Shaunt's remark about pushing up the glasses reminded me of a photograph I once took of my friend. I took him to the photography studio in Wurster and snapped a roll of film entirely dedicated to him and one of them caught him in the act of pushing his glasses up. Of all thirty eight pictures, this was the one photograph I decided to print. It captures him in his natural state, frozen in a moment of time where he is completely himself. If you guys want to see it, you can view is on my very incomplete website with very poor photo-quality: http://jeannie.art.googlepages.com/mainportraits.html

No comments: