Friday, November 30, 2007

look at me, im so pretty

Burning Down Paris, freaking awesome. I’ve heard the name before and I’ve heard about the 80’s black drag queen movies, but never realized they were the same thing. I was particularly moved by the one guy who was always doing his makeup in the mirror. One of the old-school guys. He really seemed upset that the balls were changing and becoming something new. Reminiscing about the old days in the 60’s and 70’s where they dressed as Vegas showgirls and made their own costumes, he spoke quite poorly about the new state of the balls. Focus on designer clothing, too many categories, too many people, too much change. But with that, I could help but see him as a little hypocritical. He’s afraid and upset by change? That should be what every drag queen wants. Change of society’s mentality about them hopefully even gaining acceptance. But maybe that’s exactly what it’s not about. He doesn’t want acceptance. Dressing in drag would be no fun if it didn’t elicit a response. This is why I strongly disagree with that article we read. Drag-queens aren’t trying to emulate woman in order to hide and feel powerless, it’s done for that show, that “look at me! Don’t you think I’m crazy!!?”

No comments: