Saturday, December 8, 2007

After watching Paris Is Burning, I was rather shocked by how tragic it was. I was discussing the film with a friend and she brought up the topic of Thai ladyboys, Japanese new halfs as well as how often transgenders and transsexuals show up in Asian media, that I realized why I was so shocked by Paris is Burning. I recall listening to the Korean transgender pop star, Harisu, when I was younger. A few friends of mine also watched a Taiwanese TV drama back in high school featuring Harisu as the female supporting role competing for the leading man’s love against the leading female. My friends didn’t even realize that she was transsexual given that most of transsexuals featured in Asian media tend to look completely female. Personally, from the one episode I saw while I was at her house, I also think it might have been since Harisu was more physically attractive and effeminate than the female lead. Apparently, after Googling her just now, Harisu has also married recently to a male rap star. Though I’d heard the term, ladyboy, used previously, I didn’t know too much about Thai ladyboys and so I looked it up online. Though I knew they were accepted in mainstream culture, I didn’t expect them to be as visible as they are. There are apparently several popular models, singers and movie stars that are ladyboys. Newspapers print female and ladyboy beauty contest winners side-by-side and they’ve become an international tourist attraction amongst heterosexual men. Many also marry heterosexual men and have normal lives. It makes me wonder if it’s since they just physically look like pretty women that makes them more accepted or if it has more to do with culture and how the culture perceives masculinity. Yet even if it were cultural, it wouldn’t make sense for them to be so popular internationally to the point of being a tourist attraction. I’m just baffled by it all.

No comments: