Monday, December 3, 2007

and Tran, again:

My friendship bracelet broke. Is that a sign?? As I sit here next to my dorm room's window, staring into the darkness, I am reminded of the novella Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. My English teacher made my class read that book because she said that it is powerful and we will encounter it again in college. I didn't take her word for it, but here we are, reading (or read past tense) Equiano. Theory Toolbox even dedicates two three paragraphs to Conrad and his novella in the "Differences" chapter. For a story less than 100 pages, it has some pretty complicated ideas that confuzzled us all. I don't know if any of you guys and gals have read it yet, but I would still like to discuss it. There's basically a summary in Theory Toolbox pages 161-162... but... anyways so Conrad was a "white man" during the time that Africa was being colonized by the Europeans. Maybe it was his word choice or something, but people called him a racist. I dont' think he was racist because he wrote it to expose the evils of colonization and how the Europeans became corrupted, but Chinua Achebe wrote Things Fall Apart in response to Conrad. He showed that Africans had a culture, and they were civilized and content. Until the Europeans came along and then their lives began to fall apart. (good book btw) What I noticed was that in Things Fall Apart, the style was very simple, with some cultural words, and easy to read. It had the effect that Achebe wanted. I compared this to Equiano, which was lengthy and, excuse me, boring. Halfway through writing this blog, I realized I shouldn't be comparing the two because they were written in different time periods. They are both effective in helping the authors' cause. Now I lost my train of thought. It's funny how I get riled up about something, then I fall flat on my face. So... no, Equiano is not the greatest possibility of our times. But that phrase itself is ambiguous. Now I'm confused.

No comments: