Thursday, November 15, 2007

So late the party has ended and I've spent all this time dressing up for nothing.

So I'm not sure what I should be saying. I'm not a brilliant conversationalist when it comes to blogging. However, I do wonder what direction this daunting final paper of mine will head. No offense to Equiano, but I am adamantly opposed to devoting an 8-10 page paper to narrative that seems often to cater more to the masses than telling the story how it is. Then again, the trouble with Maus is just... where to begin? It's at times difficult enough just working words, but pictures are another story. Like the old saying goes, "A picture is worth a thousand words," and boy I hope so, what with an 8 page paper (minimum) staring at me in the face. But in these thousand words, what am I to say? Actually, back up. What point am I even going for? Looking through the criticisms of Maus, they all eventually seem to end up saying the same things over and over: Holocaust and the aftermath, the past vs. the present, and the funky relationship between Art and Vladek. Honestly, that's the best I could probably come up with as well, much less something that is interesting and refreshing. I suppose the fact that Maus is a comic book makes it that much harder to begin; words, I'm used to when writing a paper since that's what my paper consists of. But pictures? And extracting an exact meaning from something so expansive and full of possibilities? Now that's just tricky... tricky indeed. I'm wondering if a picture is acceptable for the abstract then. What about a comic strip response to Maus? I promise it'll be 8-10 pages long!

No comments: