Sunday, October 21, 2007

When J. K. Rowling revealed that Dumbledore is a homosexual, it reminded me of when Mr. Grossman mentioned that Feral and Elphin are also gay. When I found out, I felt even more admiration for Dumbledore and excited at the same time. Admiration because culturally, I know the troubles and hatred that homosexuals have gone through to be comfortable with who they are. I know most of you don't agree with the idea that race and sexual orientation doesn't matter, but the way I see things, it does. I come from a very diverse city, but when I came to Berkeley, I encountered people who are very conservative who argues that homosexuals are sinners (i.e. that loud crazy guy in Upper Sproul). As much as we hate to admit it, we have been weened to judge others.My point is...So it's kind of like everyone's fallen in love with Dumbledore, and now that his secret is revealed, what are those people who aren't as open-minded going to think? Do they suddenly ignore all of Dumbledore's great traits and hate him because he's gay? Or are they going to accept it? If Rowling never made that comment, then readers would keep on going around believing that their great hero is heterosexual and never had kids because he never found love, and blah blah blah. So by revealing it, she challenges your beliefs. She retains her authority. Now I'm rambling and I don't even know if I make sense anymore, but mooo.

So my point is, I kind of like the idea of the author telling us what certain things are supposed to mean. Call me whatever you want, but I'm just straight out of high school, and I still need people telling me what to do. By discussing the book Invincible, we came up with a lot of ideas and interpretations. But what is correct? We'd have a never-ending debate. I talked to Talissa about that Mister Mystic scene, and she suggested that magic is an area that Dr. I hates and stuff, but I felt like there was something more about that scene and the importance of Mister Mystic. Then Mr. Grossman said that Mister Mystic was so lame in that scene because he already knew Dr. I was going to lose. That made so much more sense to me.

Rambling with no sense of direction and not being judged on is great =]

--tran

No comments: