Wednesday, October 24, 2007

In Response

I apologize in advance for the Harry Potter final book spoilers. I just couldn't resist after seeing Tran's post.

Since I've already somewhat gone over my thoughts of the film, yet have a strong desire to respond to Tran's post below mine, and we don't have a particular topic to blog about, I hope this isn't too out of line? I actually came across the same information regarding Dumbledore a few days ago and also thought it coincidentally enough, paralleled Grossman's lecture regarding Feral and Elphin completely. Though I think there is a slight difference. When J.K. Rowling revealed that Dumbledore's one true love was Grindelwald, everything regarding Dumbledore's past in the final book just clicked for me. Prior to that revelation, though though their relationship was somewhat implied in the novel, since it wasn't directly stated, Dumbledore's actions seemed unclear. Friendship just doesn't sufficiently justify a complete reversal in ideology that we see in Dumbledore's character and neither does foolish youthfulness. The alteration of philosophy is just too extreme for it to be believable. Yet by having Dumbledore be in love with Grindelwald, not only does Dumbledore's past become significantly more complex and tragic, his "evil" ideology of youth as he went along with Grindelwald is seemingly more justified in that love does blind us. Thus, it becomes a necessary component to his character and an overall comprehension of the novel that I believe should have been blatantly stated within the text.

However, with Invincible, I don't see the same necessity. Inclusion of Feral or Elphin's sexual orientation, though socially more representative, just doesn't seem plot relevant, nor does it significantly add any further complexity to either characters. It just doesn't build upon the interpretation of the novel and therefore though I see a social necessity to be inclusive of all individuals, information that doesn't add to a deeper understanding of the work just seems superfluous and would be taken more as a side note rather than as a major plot point like is the case in the final book of the Harry Potter series.


-Kathy

1 comment:

lyransi said...

Just to clarify, in regards to writing about the film, I meant that I think I've already written almost all that I could think of in the in-class writing assignment.