Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Space Between

During the talk with Austin Grossman there were some ideas that he brought up that really interested me, one of which where he talks about the space between each strip, the "gutter," was especially thought-provoking. The idea that it's what you don't see that is what makes it great is very smart. Through my movie watching career I've seen that the best/most scary movies are the ones that leave things to your imagination. And it seems to me that with your imagination there is something that you can connect with and enjoy. Another interesting point he brought up was changing the characters to make them more racially and sexually correct. Personally, I don't think that a person's character should depend on what race they are or which way they are oriented sexually. A few of the previous blogs mention that if they knew that Feral and Elphin were gay it would change their picture of who they are, which is why I am against giving the characters races or sexual preferences. I think it's better for the reader to decide for themselves in which way the characters are different so that we aren't swayed to think differently about characters just because they are black or homosexual. That is unless race or orientation plays a large part in their characters personality, which in the case of the book it doesn't.

No comments: