Wednesday, October 24, 2007

"Blade Runner"

Although I'm sure there are far more interesting things that I could be writing about right now, I can't get past that movie. Half the time, I was completely lost and the other half, I was hiding behind a piece of paper (I really don't like blood and violence). All I can say is: WHAT HAPPENED?! There seems to be a disconnect between the book and the movie because the main messages that I was interpreting from each seemed to be extremely different. While the book seriously seemed to have a legitimate question to pose (what IS humanity?), the movie apparently cut that out when they cut out Mercerism. I keep thinking that I missed out on part of the movie and that's when they went into Mercerism with depth and vigor. But no. Instead, I was exposed to a lot of screaming and shooting and strange, animalistic fight scenes in the dark and rain. It seems as the though the movie completely went off on a tangent from the book and literally MADE it into an action film. The book seemed to focus more on the internal struggle of Deckard while the movie managed to strip it down to... what else? sex and violence. Maybe I'm being a little critical, but the movie seemed to get the whole "mind-boggling" part of Dick's novel down, but not for the same reasons. It was more of a general confusion as to why things were happening rather than specific debatable points (ie THE GOAT!). Honestly, I think the movie might have just been a little too commercialized and trying to appeal too much to a broad audience, as done so by... sex and action/violence. It was one of those movies that made me appreciate the book that much more!

P.S. What was up with all the Asian people as street vendors? It felt like Harrison Ford was chilling out in a major Chinese metropolitan or something. I couldn't help but wonder if there was some type of racism hidden in there or at the very least the perpetuation of a stereotype that is somewhat unappreciated...

No comments: