Thursday, September 27, 2007

Chickens go cluck cluck, cows go moo...

...piggys go oink oink, how about you?

So I was thinking about Tony's question, "Which planet would you rather live on?" a bit more after class. Like some other people, I first thought neither planet had much to offer. But then again, earth doesn't seem so bad if I were an animal. Then I'd be prized so highly, those silly humans that could not afford me would make artificial versions! Considering that I'm still human, though, those animal thought seem pretty absurd. Why is artificial animal life valued so high when artificial human life is so disposable? Perhaps, originally, the humans felt guilty for destroying the earth and causing the scarcity of animal life. Now that most earth inhabitants have immigrated to mars, though, isn't human life rare too? The few humans introduced in the book seem detached from one another, directing their compassion for one another towards animals and sharing their experiences with Mercer rather than with each other. Androids, on the other hand, seem to value human life more than the humans, but show no respect for animal life. Pris tortures the spider and Rachael kills the goat. Why? I’m not quite sure, but my theory is that it has something to do with the fact that the androids are the closest things to humans, but animals are treated with more worth. The motivation behind the creation of the androids also befuddles me. If robots were meant to act as slaves, why make them so human like? Why does the Rosen association continue to produce humanoids if they cannot integrate into society? As humans become more like androids and androids become more like humans, at what point will the roles switch? Well, like I said, I’d want to be an animal. Then I could be content with thinking, “Humans are strange.”

No comments: