Wednesday, November 28, 2007

weird picture maus II

Ok, so I don’t know if you guys have read Maus II (you really should, it’s good, and, it’s where it’s at… I mean, most my paper is based on that one) but on the third to last page, Art includes a picture of Vladek. But get this… He’s wearing the striped Auschwitz prison uniform! Vladek tells us that he passed a photo shop that had a prison uniform that people could get their pictures taken in as a souvenir. How FREAKING WEIRD is that. Now, I’m all for getting your picture from Splash-Mountain. But if Splash-Mountain gas, shot, murdered, raped, maimed, (the list goes on) millions of your brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, children, friends, countrymen (the list goes on) would you buy a picture? Wouldn’t the ID tattoo and the indelible memories of pain and suffering be enough of a souvenir? Now, I’m all for remembering the Holocaust so that such atrocities will never be repeated, but Vladek looks quite stoic and, dare I say? Proud to be wearing the uniform. The whole idea kind of goes against the scene where art talks to his therapist about how if surviving is honorable, then is dying dishonorable? Personally, I’m a bit outraged.


shaunt

No comments: