Wednesday, November 7, 2007

So... I'm just here, in my friend's suite alone. I don't even live in this city, and I'm watching The X-Files and Alias and listening to KALX and also doing anything but my physics homework, which includes blogging. Good stuff. Other good stuff: Equiano being the "grandest possibility of our time." I still do not understand how that could be so. While it is certainly noble that Equiano was able to make a name for himself through pure ingenuity, gain freedom, though it was threatened many times, and even rise up to be a person with enough authority to join the abolitionsit cause, he seems to be taking on a purely white European stance. Even on my edition of the book (I don't have the Classic Slave Narratives-- only Equiano's story), he has a powdered wig (only slightly gray) and he's wearing the English dress. But, that's only superficial. Clothes don't make the man, of course. It's Equiano's actions that count. He did go against the popular opinion by attempting to trade slavery with nonhuman trade, and I do admire him for promoting complete freedom for all people, but the "grandest possibility of our time" is one mighty title. For all that he did for the abolitionist movement, I feel he should have done something more than write a book of his life. Galvanizing more people to achieve a wider slavery ban would probably do it. But, at that time, he still didn't have enough authority to successfully motivate those who were entirely in agreement with slave owners and those involved with the slave trade. In any case, anyone who has been through hell only to come back alive, and on top, truly deserves recognition. Just making it against all odds merits grandness.

No comments: