Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Ok, so over the break I watched at least 12 hours of Seinfeld DVD's, therfore this post will be done as if it were taking place in the booth at Monks with Jerry, George, and Elaine.

Badibadib bawn bown bi bown

Jerry: So what’s the deal with all these bribes in the holocaust? I mean, why do you need a gold watch in Auschwitz? Are you trying to find a new girlfriend?

Kramer: You never know (funny face/head bobble).

George: It couldn’t have been that bad there. I could really see myself in Auschwitz. You don’t have to decide what to wear everyday, the Germans give you something to do, and you never have to see your parents. Talk about heaven.

Elaine: You know George, you might be right. With all the starvation, suffering, and misery, you’d be a real catch.

Ok, running the risk of becoming even more offensive, I’ll stop the Seinfeld dialogue.

But seriously, What’s the deal with the bribes in Auschwitz? When so many people have so little left to live for, how do ‘valuables’ still hold any value? An argument could be that they can be used to bribe the guards. But this doesn’t hold up since the guards would seemingly kill you and take your gold as soon as you offer it to them. Why would the guard risk helping a Jew if they could simply steal their valuables. And if one could not bribe the guards, then what do other inmates want with the money? I can’t believe that people would be saving this stuff for when they get out. ‘ohhh, if I play my cards right, then I’ll totally have this sweet watch when I get out of Auschwitz.” Yea right.

No comments: