Monday, November 26, 2007

Oct 3 - Invincible

I really enjoyed reading this book, though I think at points it definitely dragged along. I can see how the first chapter was definitely written as a solo piece and then got expanded to an entire book. I think the premise of hearing the scared and self-conscious inner-dialogue of superheroes and supervillains is funny, but does it really merit an entire book? I guess so, considering it is an entire book and that I liked it. But it's a question that came up.

Also, I found that i didn't care about Fatale at all. Whenever books twist with different storylines I always gravitate pretty strongly towards one of them. If it's a good book then i am stuck to whichever one i am reading and don't want to switch at the next chapter but then become engrossed immediately.

But there's something about dr impossible that is much more compelling than Fatale. HE just has so much more going on... i mean he is the smartest person the planet. And as much as it is a cheap trick, i always thought it was funny when he referred to past incidents like freezing the moon or impersonating the pope--classic. Fatale was so low-energy. She seemed pretty depressed. And i suppose like most superheroes her sole purpose in life is in reaction to other people. Superheroes are mostly reactionary not proactive. IT just seems like a really unfulfilling way to go about life. I think life's already got enough downers in it to read about some depressed cyborg. Clearly the only thing she truly has to live for is some weird identity of who she should be, but it just seems so hollow.

No comments: