Thursday, October 4, 2007

So here goes for last week’s post about androids.
I feel that I didn’t exactly have closure with the book. In the beginning, I was a bit lost. At the end, I became even more confused. If this is what the future holds, I’m kind of glad I won’t live that long to face such a bleak world. I had a whole list of questions, but I can’t seem to find it anymore. It’s frustrating how when I don’t need that stupid note paper, it’s always there in my book. But when I really need it now, I can’t find it! UGH! Anywho, I don’t understand why the Rosen Association would want to manufacture smarter and better robots that are hard to distinguish from humans. If the old androids were able to have feelings and question their purpose in life, why bother making them? I thought the purpose of androids were to assist the humans on Mars. Why program them so that they could think for themselves? I see no point of that. I don’t understand why Rachel killed the goat still. In the book, Rick seemed to understand perfectly, yet I had to reread that chapter five times, and I still don’t get it. Also what’s with the whole Mercerism? How was he there in Isidore’s place to assist Rick? Then later Rick became Mercer? GAHH science fiction is so hard to grasp and understand. Is there something I’m missing here? Did I read too fast and overlooked stuff or something? So if androids are metals and pieces, how is Rick able to have sex with Rachel? Sorry, but that whole sex scene baffles me. Another thing. Was it really Rick’s speed that allowed him to retired six androids in twenty four hours, a feat no other has done? That seemed a bit fishy to me. And so basically the lifespan of the plot was only twenty four hours too. That’s a pretty hectic life to live. At the end, I think Rick went a little psychotic. So was everything real? So many questions. So little time.
Now this week’s post about superheroes and such.
We never got to go around the class and find out which superhero character each person identified himself/herself with. It’s hard because I see a bit of myself in Spidey and Sailor Moon. Yes Sailor Moon. I found it odd that only the males participated in the discussion about superheroes and comic books. Would it be the same if we were to talk about fairytales and Disney princesses? Fairytales are older than comic books, yet they have similar moral lessons. While reading “Superheroes and Superreaders,” I noticed that comic books tend to start off innocently for adolescents then “matured” as the years went by. Fairytales started off as grim, “mature” stories for adults, then got watered down by Disney and such to teach young children some lessons. Did you know that the in the original story of Sleeping Beauty, she was impregnated by the Prince in her sleep, and she woke up because her twin babies sucked the thorn out of her finger. Back to my original point, why is there such a difference between genders and the type of stories they like? For instance, my nephew is in love with Spiderman. He cannot go to sleep without wearing his Spiderman shirt or else he claims to get nightmares. On the other hand, my little cousin never took a liking to superheroes. She is in love with pretty Princess dresses. What is it about comic books and superheroes that appeals to males and fairytale stuff appeals to females? And the topic in Theory Toolbox about Ideology is confusing me. So basically, "things are the way they are" ?

-- tran

No comments: