Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I'm blogging before I forget

Hi all. I am making an attempt at this blog now before I completely forget once the day begins anew. Honestly, the more I was attempting to analyze Grossman's novel for this paper (due in a day or so), the more I found a pattern similar to that in Dick's novel: there's this cyclic blur of distinction between superhero and supervillain, just as there is between android and human. It seems as though the more you think you know about them, the less you truly do, especially in the case of the supervillains (and their reasoning for being such villainous individuals). I found it a headache and a half to make that clear cut distinction anymore besides the fact that they were slapped with a label that they eventually followed through with. It's as if they were evil because they were told they were supposed to be, and therefore were committing crimes in order to fulfill the role assigned to them.

Anyways, back to the current novel at hand. When reading Equiano's account of his "home country," it definitely did feel romanticized. Everything was so perfect, so right, as if bathed in a pool of glorious ideality... the utopia of Africa. I now change my vote (kind of late I know) to the side that the authenticity of his story matters. Although there is the tradeoff between interpreting the story of the silent masses in order to actually even get the story out there, I feel like the fact he concealed the origin of his stories somewhat negates any positive impact he may have had on his audience. There's always emphasis placed on the legitimacy of a text, and to go so far as to claim it to be true without any disclaimers may even have the opposite effect that Equiano was aiming for: his dishonesty may lead any readers who would have otherwise been moved to change their views based on reading his story to see himself and everyone he is representing (the slave population) in an even more negative light: as liars who will use any means necessary, even dishonesty (which is a big no-no in the Christian/Puritan world) to achieve their ultimate goal. In the end, it may hurt the cause of the slaves.

My apologies if you actually read this probably incoherent rambling. Good luck to all on the papers!

No comments: