Friday, October 19, 2007

Forgive me. I know this entry is very late and I don't have an excuse (except that I just forgot to do it), but I'd still like to post my thoughts about Grossman's book. At first sight, I was very surprised at how accurate the author's photograph in the book was. I have this belief that authors put up pictures of themselves when they eight years younger. Besides listening to him, I admit I was also studying his gestures, movements, and facial expressions (yeah, I know it sounds creepy but I do it to everyone). He seems like the kind of guy who would exist in the pages of a book or someone you'd like to write a book about, someone with a lot of character.

I think it's exciting that his book will be made into a movie. To transfer the plot of a book to the screen of a movie brings the book to an entirely different dimension. A book is constructed solely of words while film contains words, visuals, movement, and sound. Because film has the freedom of all of these mediums, a movie is more physically real to our human senses because there are simply more things that mimic our reality (I don't even want to define reality. So... reality = toothpaste). However I think that whether a book or movie is real in the sense of its connection and impact on the viewer or reader depends on the craft of the art form. Just because a movie has visual and sound elements that a book lacks does not automatically make it more real or true. I think that the current technology of film is a chance for all art (including literature, visual art, dance performance.. etc.) to leap to new heights.

No comments: