Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Weds. writing stuff

It is interesting in chapters three, four, and five to see how Victor was so affected by his studies. At first, when the natural philosopher convinces Victor that his studies in alchemy were a sham, he was quite wary and unconvinced with the idea of a scientific education. But, soon after arriving at the University, a chemistry professor is able to convince Victor to resume work. He then buries himself in work, which separates and isolates him from everyone he once knew. This closely parallels the expectations of this university. As a chemist, I find it very easy to lose myself in my work. There is a certain addictive quality to scientific studies. The answer is always around the next corner and the hunt for knowledge is seemingly endless (that’s a good thing). But by burying myself in the work, I, much like Victor, begin to feel alienated from the world. Friends talk about what books they have recently read or movies they have seen, yet all I’ve read in the past months is the Journal of the American Chemical Society and all the events I’ve attended are chemical seminars. But this of course is a spiraling effect and I become more and more separated from the reality most people know. Instead of people and trees, I see carbons, electrons, metals, bonds. It’s not easy, being Victor and me. Sometimes you have to swim to the top for air, otherwise you’ll soon be sewing together body parts from the butcher just to get the next hit of knowledge.

No comments: