Wednesday, September 12, 2007

weak!

THE DAEMON DOES NOT DIE AT THE END. He doesn’t have the backbone (probably literally too) to follow through with his declaration of suicide. Face it, he’s weak, doesn’t have the willpower, and will end up wussing out and continue living like a mythical Bigfoot. I wish I could smack him and tell him to grow some balls.


Firstly, remember his first-time-with-fire incident? Yet he’s “determined” in by the end (fueled by the sadness of the death of Victor) to perish by flames, going into detail about ten times how he wants so badly to be burned alive.


Secondly, sure the creature’s clinically depressed, but that doesn’t mean it equates to suicide. Although he’s got severe pathological depression, he doesn’t seem to entertain the idea of suicide very often like most other suffers of major depressive disorder would.


Finally, Mary Shelley seems to have a thing for weak characters. Especially Frankenstein, who seems to fall ill to some crazy disease every time his head hurts. They’re all so interdependent and incapable of functioning when left to their own devices. Not to mention they’re all superficial, an obvious defense mechanism for those that don’t feel up to par with themselves. And like father, like son, right?


Don’t blame me; I psychoanalyze too much.

1 comment:

tran haha said...

Ok so I officially hate google and blogspot. I don't know how to sign in and I forgot my username/pw so I spent the last hour trying to look for it. Then I gave up and made a new username account thing. Now I don't even know how to leave my own blog, so I'm going to mooch off of you Amy, sorry. T_T. I never hated google so much. ugh.



So Frankenstein eh?


How do we know if Frankenstein's tale is true? We, as readers, are presented a tale through a captain's letters to his sister. Walton was stuck in the ice of the North Pole area for who knows how long until Victor comes along and tells his tale. What if he became a bit crazy as time went by?

Victor was not in a right sense of mind when he met Walton. Actually, Victor was always a bit eccentric, and his health had been declining for a long time now. Like Brittany said, Victor had numerous fainting spells. Also, he just suffered from deaths of his family members. So besides the fact that Walton claimed to have seen the hideous monster, who is to say that Victor's tale is true? After all, Victor was a junky, right?

The tale itself was very far fetched. What if Walton decided to spice things up? After all, he is telling the story... The story tends to stray far from the original when it's passed to people by people.

Another thing, the ship was stranded in the middle of the Arctic Ocean. How did the creature get onto the ship?